[Edinburgh-pm] Call for talks -- Poetic Perl

Marco Fontani fontani at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 08:09:04 PDT 2011

Hello fellow 'mongers,

Our next technical Glasgow.pm meeting is scheduled for Thursday 9th June, at the usual location.
The website has been updated: http://glasgow.pm.org/meetings/2011-06-09.html

I call for all those who mentioned bringing a talk to come forward, so I can then update the site/make all aware of which talks will be given.
I will endeavour to bring a "real talk" myself, and will update you as soon as I get something put together. Likely on 5.14, or on AnyEvent and similar beasts I've been toying with at nighttime.

Regarding the lightning talks, and considering the vast success of our last tech meeting, in which more than one person brought a lightning talk on topic, we will try the same thing again.

Will this work as well?

As pre-announced (amongst laughs, indeed) at the last Edinburgh.pm's social meeting, this month's lightning talk topic is "Poetic Perl".
I would encourage all to bring a small lightning talk (5 mins) regarding Perl and poetry.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Perl, http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=237465, and http://babyl.ca/yaph/poems/ for some inspiration on poetry.

You could bring anything from a Perl haiku (remember, it's 5-7-5 or 7-11-7 but any prime number may do if you so choose), to a Perl sonnet or anything really.

I reiterate the promise of offering:
- a free beer if your (non-trivial) poem compiles (a big pat on the back if it works under strict)
- free beer for the evening (limited to 3 each) if your non-trivial poem does in fact something _useful_

I would consider a JAPH "trivial", but if your program^Wpoem outputs or does something a bit more convoluted, it should count.
What counts will be decided by raise of hands if there are any problems.

I hope you like the idea, and will be able to both attend and bring either a serious talk, or a lightning talk on topic :)

P.S. If anybody would like to do some GPG-signing as well, please bring your IDs and printed out keys :)

Looking forward to seeing you all soon,
-marco-

---
Marco Fontani