[Edinburgh-pm] F#

Robert Rothenberg robrwo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 13:50:39 PST 2011

On 27/01/11 15:11 Andrew Smith wrote:
> as Microsoft really made the source code open source, or is that spin ?
> If so, can we expect F# on Linux ?

F# runs fine on Linux using Mono. Microsoft has a link to instructions here:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/cambridge/projects/fsharp/release.aspx

> The future is functional programming. I'm trying to decide now I've
> pretty much mastered Haskell, whether to use my remaining brain cells
> for OCAML, ERLANG or F#. Java has a  unknown future under Oracle, Perl 5
> is surviving, Perl 6 dead in water.

If you understand Haskell, OCaml, Erlang and F# are easy, as they still
allow side effects in some circumstances.

There's also Clojure (a version of Lisp that runs on the JRE, so it can use
Java libraries).

Java will probably continue for a long time, because there is so much
written for it and the runtime.

Why do you consider Perl 6 "dead in water"?