[Edinburgh-pm] SSCL Event: 3D Visualisation

Murray perl at minty.org
Thu Feb 17 11:14:45 PST 2011

Dunno if anyone might be interested in this.  I've been to a few of the SSCL
talks and they are normally interesting.  It's normally about 99% suited
lawyers and me looking like the spare part.  It's typically distinctly slanted
to lawyers, so don't expect any in jokes about kernel compilation or functional
programming here.  That said, I enjoy them.

I can't find venue details, but it's normally in some central law company
offices.  Quarter Mile or the High Street kinda areas.

http://www.scl.org/site.aspx?i=ev18990

----- Forwarded message from SSCL <mail at sscl.org> -----

3D Visualisation

Precise documentation of cultural heritage and the Scottish Ten project

The Scottish 10 is an ambitious 5-year project to create exceptionally
accurate 3D records of the 5 Scottish World Heritage sites and 5
international sites : including Mount Rushmore USA and Rani Ki Vav Royal
Step Well in India.

The work is being developed by the Centre for Digital Documentation and
Visualisation : a joint venture between the Glasgow School of Art and
Historic Scotland.

Thursday 3 March 2011

5.30pm: doors

6-7pm: talk

To book a place please reply by e-mail to mail at sscl.org

Douglas Pritchard is the Head of Visualisation at the Digital Design Studio and
Director of the Centre for Digital Documentation and Visualisation (CDDV) at
the Glasgow School of Art.  His primary area of research interest is in
immersive visualisation and documentation technology in relation to heritage,
architecture and urban planning.

As the Director of the CDDV, Douglas is currently working on the Scottish
Ten, an ambitious five-year project to use cutting edge technology to create
exceptionally accurate 3D digital records of Scotland's five UNESCO
designated World Heritage Sites and five international sites.  In May 2010,
he led the Scottish Ten team at Mount Rushmore National Memorial and in
March 2011, the team from CDDV will be in India to precisely document the
Rani-ki-Vav (the Queen's Step Well).

Douglas is a graduate architect from the University of Manitoba, a member of
the CyArk Foundation, City of Glasgow Urban Design Panel and the Academy of
Urbanism. In 2008, he presented the Urban Model for Glasgow project at 11th
International Architecture Exhibition, Venice Architectural Biennale. He was
also a speaker at the 2010 World Creativity Forum in Oklahoma City. His work
with Historic Scotland has been featured in The New York Times, The
Guardian, The Toronto Star, Discovery Channel and BBC 4 Radio.