[Edinburgh-pm] code style question

Alex Brelsfoard alex.brelsfoard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 03:46:38 PDT 2011

Hi All,

I just came across some code that used some old-style coding practice, and I
wanted to know if there was still any GOOD reason for using it:

The code I saw was referencing variables using the $:: pragma:

if ($::var) {
}

To my understanding this is a bit messy, and not to mention potentially
dangerous as it kinda goes against the "use strict;" methodology, does it
not?

I haven't seen this style code in a long time so I wanted to get other
feedback on its potential benefits before I suggest updating it.
Thanks in advance to all that can help.

--Alex