[Edinburgh-pm] variable scope

Andrew Thomson andrewt at compunext.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 12:26:37 PDT 2008

This section appears under the foreach subsection on the perlsyn page
supplied with the Activestate distro:

"The foreach loop iterates over a normal list value and sets the variable
VAR to be each element of the list in turn. If the variable is preceded with
the keyword my, then it is lexically scoped, and is therefore visible only
within the loop. Otherwise, the variable is implicitly local to the loop and
regains its former value upon exiting the loop. If the variable was
previously declared with my, it uses that variable instead of the global
one, but it's still localized to the loop. This implicit localisation occurs
only in a foreach loop."

--
Andrew