[Dub-pm] "Compiled" Code

Dave O Connor doc at redbrick.dcu.ie
Tue May 4 17:19:20 CDT 2004

Andrew Barnes said on Tue, May 04, 2004 at 10:57:10PM +0100:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm just wondering - how does one go about "compiling" one's perl code
> into a binary distributable format?

perlcc - comes with perl. The source code it generates makes baby jesus cry
last time I looked, but it seems to work.

> And next part - perhaps more importantly, under what circumstances would
> one go about doing this?  Pros, Cons, etc

Probably if you had no way of ensuring perl were installed, especially on
windows (where you can't be sure any given version of perl is installed, and
you don't want to worry about module dependencies, etc. The modukle dependency
thing applies to *nix, too, if you want to package a binary distro, and don't
want to specify a bunch of perl-specific modules and tomfoolery to install.

	- DoC