[DFW.pm] Aspect.pm

Nick Perez nick at nickandperla.net
Mon Jul 13 08:18:23 PDT 2015

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 09:27:47 -0500
Jayson Hill <jehsoftwareconsulting at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with using Aspect -- specifically for
> production use?
> I'm curious if its performance is ok.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jayson

I think I remember briefly looking at this once upon a time after
spending some time using AOP stuff in .NET/Java (castle/spring, for
example).

The key thing to keep in mind is that subroutine overhead in Perl is
high. And this essentially adds lots of additional subroutines calls
and logic around your methods that will not do well performance wise.

Something you might want to ponder instead of full-on Aspect, is to
just use Moose for your advising needs. Or go simpler and use
Class::Method::Modifiers.

But at the end of the day, what kind of application are you writing?
I mean, if you are producing something to run on a single computer,
just use the module and hope your successors can read your code :)

If you are doing anything that could be remotely called a distributed
system, I would sincerely avoid this module in production. Build a
prototype to help you identify what you /want/ to do and capture those
learnings and build the system without the magic.

--

Nicholas Perez
XMPP/Email: nick at nickandperla.net
https://metacpan.org/author/NPEREZ