[DFW.pm] Homework for the list, and for Oct 08 meeting

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 11 14:16:27 PDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 03:50:20PM -0500, Robert Flach wrote:
>  If I want to see your solution running, what's the best recommended
> way to get a working perl6 environment these days?

General answer:  Navigate to perl6.org and click the "Download" link.

More detailed answer/flowchart:

1. If you're running Windows, you probably want to get the latest .msi
   from http://rakudo.org/downloads/star .  I recommend getting the
   "-moar" version instead of the "-parrot" version, but either
   should work fine.

2. If you're not running Windows, then you should decide if you want
   a distribution with pre-packaged Perl 6 modules ("Rakudo Star"),
   or just the compiler itself ("Rakudo").

   If you want the pre-packaged modules, then download the .tar.gz
   file from http://rakudo.org/downloads/star, unpack, and build
   from there.

   If you're just interested in playing with the language, you can
   clone the compiler repository directly from Github and build from
   it.

   Building instructions for each are in the README file.

There is a Debian package for rakudo, but it often runs many months
out of date and none of the Rakudo developers have been able to be
part of the Debian packaging team (long story there).  For something
evolving/developing as rapidly as Rakudo Perl 6, it's a bit painful
to be six or so months out of date.

Hope this helps.  :)

Pm