[DFW.pm] Hackathon award categories

Tom Metro tmetro+dfw-pm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 15:55:39 PST 2014

I was concerned that some contestants might not be aware that there are
categories you can win for other than speed. They're mentioned in the
slide presentation, but to increase their visibility, I'll list them here.

First, we have several that can be objectively measured:

-Lowest memory use (see other posting)

-Best Perl::Crtic score

  % do-perl-critic.pl file.pl
  3  total violations

(do-perl-critic.pl is installed on the contest server, or available at
https://github.com/tommybutler/dupfind/blob/master/do-perl-critic.pl)

-Fewest lines of code (as output by cloc; max length 80 chars per line)

  % cloc file.pl
  Language            files          blank        comment         code
  Perl                  1            177             14            415

In this case you'd report 415 as your LOC score.

(cloc is installed on the contest server, or available at
http://cloc.sourceforge.net)

A few that will be up to the judges:

-Best documentation

-Most features (that the judges deem useful)

-Best effort (most published (non-trivial) commits, as reported by
github; obviously you must use and publish to github to compete in this
category)

And everyone who creates a packaged, reusable application will get a
certificate acknowledging that. (Packaging can use Dist::Zilla or
similar, and should include documentation, test suite, and be easy to
install.)

To qualify for any of these, your code still has to produce output that
matches the reference design (in other words, your code needs to work),
and it should take less than 30 minutes to run, but other than that,
execution speed won't be a factor in the above categories.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
The Perl Shop, Newton, MA, USA