[DFW.pm] Is Perl Like Shell Script?

Tommy Butler dfwpm at internetalias.net
Tue Oct 29 05:20:25 PDT 2013

That is gnome terminal, the default terminal for Debian Linux (Ubuntu
Linux comes from Debian).

Inside the terminal I'm running vim as the editor, which produces the
lovely color coding.  Vim offers many color schemes.

You can run vim on mac and windows also, but if vim isn't your thing,
you can try sublime (a new and popular editor that isn't modal like vim,
and is therefore less powerful but easier to learn).  Sublime also
offers color coding.

Another alternative is Padre, which is an editor written explicitly for
Perl programmers.  Padre is also modeless.  I prefer the power of vim to
any of the others, and I would never steer a fellow programmer toward
emacs, so I won't mention it beyond that ;-)

--Tommy Butler