[DFW.pm] IRC bots in Perl tomorrow!

John Dexter john.dexter at psydefect.com
Thu Nov 14 16:09:56 PST 2013

So, I've been a long time lurker on the DFW.pm mailing list and decided to
go ahead and get active by attending last night's meeting.  Of course, at
the last minute I got saddled with an emergency database restore for work,
so I was unable to attend.

I did want to join in on the IRC bot fun, so I whipped up a little plugin
of my own, that I call "Discuss".  Hate sitting in a dead IRC channel?
 This will let you ask the bot for discussion topics based on blog posts at
blogs.perl.org.

I'm running into an issue though.  I'm using the rand() function to let the
bot pick random posts and random return phrases, but it doesn't seem to be
changing after the initial request.  My guess is that this is an issue with
POE and the rand numbers are only generated once at compile time, so
subsequent calls to the subroutine do not produce different results.
 Anyone know how to get around that?  Or if that is even the issue?

https://github.com/PsyDefect/dfwbot/blob/master/DFWpm/BotPlugin/Discuss.pm

Sincerely,

John Dexter