[DFW.pm] SpamMeNot design considerations - unicode? sysread vs. read? parsing? security?

John Fields wigthft at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 19:54:48 PDT 2013

I was thinking over this....  I think it will be instructive to put an email's raw transmission on the projector. Will take 5
minutes and everyone will go... THAT's ALL IT DOES? ;)

So on the good 'ol days side, the RFCs originally specify things in ASCII.  They then rolled in MIME to encode character sets,
images, or anything OTHER than default (the charset now known as) us-ascii. So that is why Dovecot, the IMAP server, saves and
serves to RFC spec - because it doesn't have to peek inside the MIME package to read the headers in the envelope.

So that means there is a clear separation between the envelope and the contents.  The envelope can now be encoded in UTF8 (I need to
find the RFC where they loosened the us-ascii grip) but that is totally a separate issue from the MIME packages.  To be clear:

* The "body" of the email, everything the user sees in the message window, COULD be a MIME package encoded in a weird charset.
* Attachments are just MIME packages with a file pack'd encoding.
* The "headers" however, which is what we will be parsing including TO, FROM, SUBJECT, REPLY-TO, CC, BCC... those things must be in
the universally accepted encoding or else the package won't even transit. That is where we will need to be UTF8 aware to future proof.

*$* Be advised, old codeset spammenot.com isn't UTF8 aware RIGHT NOW and it hasn't caused a single dropped email... that I know of. :)

 >-------
It will be interesting to perfbench the different read methods! Good catch on the EOF thing.