[DFW.pm] disk-read buffering?

Tommy Butler dfwpm at internetalias.net
Mon Dec 30 06:57:55 PST 2013

I'm surprised you're seeing a large difference; I observe the effects of
the hardware disk-based caching myself but I don't see a big difference
between run 1 and 2.  I can't really turn that off, and wouldn't want to
because doing so would alter the real-world scenario of running your
code in the wild.  Nevertheless, to keep this from happening to you, run
this before you run your Perl app:

find /dedup >/dev/null

This is precisely the reason why we are taking the best time out of 2
runs when each contestant's code is benchmarked.  I will run the above
command every time before benchmarking any code to assure fairness.

--Tommy Butler