[DFW.pm] server advisory, and good manners

Tommy Butler dfwpm at internetalias.net
Sat Dec 28 09:55:28 PST 2013

I am going to try out a version of my code that is multi-threaded (and
no, I'm not competing with you; I'm just working on speeding up the code
that will be used to validate the results your own code produces).  The
code is still on github in the aforementioned location.  The reason I'm
sending this message is because the multi-threaded version may run the
server out of memory and/or lock it up.  I have not been able to fix
that yet.  It works fine on 30GB of data, but this will be the first
time I try it on 100GB.  I will reboot the server if I lock it up, with
my apologies.  I will send out another message right before I run the code.

If you have code that you know puts the stability of the server at risk,
it's not a problem.  Just mail the list first before you run it so
others can be aware and so I can reboot if needed.

It may also be a good idea to advise the list before doing a big test
run so you don't throw other benchmarks off for logged-in users who are
also executing code.

You can check if other users are logged in by typing the `w` command.
Use the `top` or `htop` commands to see if other users are testing
code.  Just look for "perl" or "rakudo" in the process table, or check
the processes based on username.

If you want to send a broadcast message to other users on the server
before you run your code, do so like this:

echo "hello all, I am about to run my code, --Jane Contestant" | wall

--Tommy Butler