[DFW.pm] DFW Perl Workshop? (was: Introduction)

Steven Novakovich steven_novakovich at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 16:42:36 PDT 2011

Sounds good to me, Patrick...

________________________________
From: Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com>
To: dfw-pm at pm.org
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2011 2:54 PM
Subject: [DFW.pm] DFW Perl Workshop?  (was:  Introduction)

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 01:58:22PM -0500, Jason Switzer wrote:
> 2011/7/17 Steven Novakovich <steven_novakovich at yahoo.com>
>
> > Hello Mr. Z,
> >
> > I'm Steven Novakovich in Grapevine, TX.
> > I would think a logical meeting location would be the approximate
> > geographical center of where all interested parties live/work.
> > For me, that would be Grapevine & West Irving...
>
> We have about 10-ish members and our geographical center has been about
> Allen near 75. DFW is simply too large for a single meeting and someone else
> has proposed a meeting more in the Irving area in the past (I can't remember
> who).

Last year we decided that given the size of the DFW metroplex, DFW.pm would
serve as an "umbrella" under which smaller groups could meet and coordinate
events.

Currently there's a group that meets regularly on the second Tuesday of
each month in Allen.  If anyone else can set up gatherings (regular, one-off,
or other) in other locations at the DFW area, it would be very
well-received and I will certainly make every effort to attend.

Since there's no longer an "official monthly DFW.pm meeting", would there
be any interest in putting together a yearly workshop or mini-conference
for the metroplex?  Traveling halfway across the metroplex is a bit too
much to do monthly, but I suspect many people would make the effort for
a once-a-year gathering.

I'll be happy to do some research on organizing a "DFW Perl Workshop"
(and to co-chair or chair the workshop, gather speakers and otherwise put
it together).  The main area where I might need some assistance is in
procuring a venue where we could meet.

If you like the idea of a yearly DFW Perl Workshop, let me know.
If I don't hear many +1's, I'll assume the idea isn't really that
interesting to people.  :-)

Pm