DCPM: perltutopen blues....

Steve Marvell steve at devon-it.co.uk
Mon Jul 7 05:21:06 CDT 2003

Matthew Browning wrote:

> ...but this is *even* less a problem ;)
> Subjective comment, I suppose.  Seems more natural to me.

I tend to avoid using object when native types work fine :)

> > I still hve problems with even cperl-mode and certain regex, quoting
> > or here doc indentation.

[ ]

> I think the benefits outweigh the minor problems.

Oh yes.

> I'm not being funny, truly, but I read `Data Munging with Perl' a
> couple of months ago expecting something really cool and was *very*
> disappointed - the first ~100 pages are basically a summary of some
> useful functions

Unlike OO programming where the first ~100 pages are a summary of some
_essential_ functions :)

> and then you get some stuff about some pretty well-known modules.  I
> was quite interested in the stuff on Parse::RecDescent but Conway's
> own essay is more comprehensive.  I always get in a bit of a pickle
> with binary data so I read Cross' chapter on it and what do you get?
> Pack and Unpack - yeah, I know about that.  The whole book took me
> about three hours to read.

Taught me how to manage complex structured data well. I guess if you
already knew that, you'd not have gained as much as I did.

> I have `Games, Diversions and Perl Culture' here.  Sample article:
> `Perl and Nuclear Weapons Don't Mix'...hilarious.

As soon as I finish my persent book review (Webmaster in a Nutshell
latest ed), I'll be after one of those.

Steve