[Denver-pm] Scientific Notation -> Dec?????

Robert L. Harris robert.l.harris at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 17:00:50 PDT 2014

They are being inserted into a database but the db doesn't recognize that
as a number.  So I have to convert it to -0.00007800825 before the insert.

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Larry Leszczynski <larryl at emailplus.org>
wrote:

> Hi Robert -
>
> > OK, I'm parsing through a bunch of data.  Occasionally I get something
> > like
> > :
> > $State="-7.7800825e-05"
> >
> > Usually the "e" is capital ( I don't know why this product logs it this
> > way
> > ).  When the Capital E goes through the if statements below it converts
> > fine, but the lower case does not it seems...
> >
> > I have put in the following sections to convert this:
> >
> >   $State =~ tr/e/E/;
> >
> >   if ( $State =~ /E/ ) {
> >     $State2 = sprintf("%.10g", $State);
> >     $State=$State2;
> >   }
> >   if ( $State =~ /e/ ) {
> >     $State2 = sprintf("%.10g", $State);
> >     $State=$State2;
> >   }
>
> What are you trying to do with these values?  If you use them in numeric
> context, they work fine as-is, no matter if they have a "e" or "E":
>
> $ perl -de 0

> Editor support available.
>
> Enter h or `h h' for help, or `man perldebug' for more help.
>
> main::(-e:1):   0
>   DB<1> print 0 + "-7.7800825e-05"
> -7.7800825e-05
>   DB<2> print 0 + "-7.7800825E-05"
> -7.7800825e-05
>

> Larry

:wq!
Robert L. Harris

DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for                      First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                                     - Manowar