[Dahut-pm] questions about Catalyst

Robin Berjon robin.berjon at expway.fr
Mon Jun 20 05:48:16 PDT 2005

Matt Sergeant wrote:
> One of the things Catalyst (and Maypole and Ruby on Rails, etc) push is
> that the database is just an object storage mechanism. I think a
> database is so much more than that, and it can be very dangerous to just
> treat it as an Object dump.

I wasn't looking at the database parts, in fact I couldn't care less
about that as usual :) The database part is just for funny people who
want to do ugly things like SQL.

Maypole was really limited to CRUD, but Catalyst isn't. I really like
the clean way in which one can have many controllers and control the
flow of data in interesting ways.

> Great for simple apps, but does it scale up (not in terms of
> performance, but in terms of complexity).

I'll have to play some more, but while I think that's true of Maypole
I'm not convinced it is of Catalyst.

--
Robin Berjon
   Senior Research Scientist