[columbus.pm] Greetings all you Columbus Perl Mongers

Smith,Devon smithde at oclc.org
Thu Feb 5 09:41:23 CST 2004

> A new project perhaps? Any ideas anyone?

When it comes to ideas, itch scratching is the best way to go. Here are some
of my itches.

This is something that I've already started working on, but have written all
of it in bash. It's sort of an expense tracking system. At the end of the
day, I enter how much I spent and what I spent it on. I have sinks like
Grocery, SalesTax, DineOut and
Entertainment. I have a simple console entry system, and a simple console
reporting system, although I have been playing around with gnu's plotutils
package to make some graphs. I've been thinking of rewriting it in perl, but
just haven't.

For the past few years I've been collecting information as I've come across
it. Lots and lots of things, like
 - a complete list of coutry-code top level domains
 - a complete list of the three letter airport codes
 - song lyrics
 - famous speeches
 - articles
 - technical info, like character set tables
 - maps
 - all the state and national flags
 - state congressional districts
 - etc, etc, etc.
It's very much like a personal, build-as-I-go encyclopedia. It's very poorly
organized though. Currently, it's just a few directories of html and jpegs.
I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to write an app to facilitate
the collection, organization, discovery and presentation of the information.
One interesting aspect of such an app might be peer-to-peer sharing. Most of
the stuff I have is just plain factual, and as such not copyrightable.

Somewhat related to the last idea, I'd like to have a simple
inventory/catalog app for my books/movies/cds/mp3s/imgs etc. Ideally, it
would be able to get partial records from other sources, like from imdb for
movies and freedb for cds. This one has a lot of potential in the
peer-to-peer arena as well.

So, those are my ideas.

/dev
--
Devon Smith <smithde at oclc.org>
Software Engineer, Office of Research

To send mail to the Columbus.pm list send email to
columbus-pm-list at pm.org

unsubscribe columbus-pm-list