[columbus.pm] Greetings all you Columbus Perl Mongers

chris chris at theconceited.com
Thu Feb 5 01:54:25 CST 2004

Thanks for the quick responses,

John, you're not related to a Bob Hogue who teaches at YSU are you?  He's
the prof. for my E-commerce class(Perl, PHP, MYSql), sure would be a big
coincidence to run into two Hogues in Ohio who are involved with Perl!

My sororities?  Like i said, I'm mostly looking to educate myself about
Perl as much as possible.  I would say my interests lie very much in
creating Perl scripts for use in Linux/UNIX administration, things alone
those lines.  I have had an idea about creating a Perl script that will
store the cookies with all password and username data for any websites I
use on my USB pen drive, and to automatically send this information to the
browser whenever the drive is plugged into a computer, and I have surfed to
one of the pages with cookie information stored.  Obviously, this would
have the end result of making all of my information completely portable, so
I could use e-bay, amazon, or whatever else I needed from any computer with
an internet connection, without needing to remember a thing.  The next step
would be to make sure this is all done securely...but simply having all of
this information on a different physical location then your harddrive would
be a huge advantage security-wise i would think.  No way for you to steal
my information if its not plugged in :-D

Of course my prof(Dr. Hogue!) has suggested to me that it may flat out be
impossible to do this using closed-source browsers like IE, and I'll need
to learn more about cookies...which will be coming in the next 10 weeks or so.

As far as a YSU PM chapter...I've thought about starting up that, or a
Linux users group here.  My conclusion is that at the moment, I don't feel
like I know enough myself to really take the point on such a
group...besides the fact that with 17 credit hours and a part-time job, I'm
too busy for it.  I was thinking that perhaps by participating in groups
like yours, and general tinkering I might feel comfortable enough in these
areas to start a group next fall for whoevers interested.  Don't want to
form a group and have 6 of us sitting in a room asking each other "so, what
do we do NOW?"

I have a lot of relatives in Columbus, so I actually do come there fairly
often.  I'm sure I'll end up making it to one of your meetings sooner or
later.  Out of curiosity:  why so little content on the website?  Has
anyone thought of putting a forum up there?  I'm sure all of you have had
experience installing/running forums like PHPBB, but if the only reason for
there being one is that noone has felt like it, I would be more then
willing to give it a shot.  Heck, building a forum might make a good spring
break project!

At 05:20 AM 2/3/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Chris! Welcome to the list. You could always start a youngstown pm group.
>We could even join the groups on occasion for special events or big name
>guest
>speakers.
>
>The house wasn't great. It was okay. I think maybe I'll just break down and
>put up the bucks for the public room at Scottie's. It sucks that they started
>charing for it, but after trying out ever other option, it seems like a good
>value. Maybe, we could ask for a donation of $3 or something to recoup
>some of
>the cost of the room.
>
>If I could gauruntee 10-20 people, it would be interesting to try and get
>Mark
>Jason Dominius to come down to Columbus. His talks were great in improving my
>Perl code. I would need lots of help recruiting people to come see him for
>that.
>
>Maybe we could do a Saturday or something and ask him to do a half day on
>refacturing or something. I've talked to him before, and he's willing to come
>talk at PM functions for a plane ticket and lodging (prefers to stay at
>someone's house or youth hostel).
>
>Perhaps, I could get someone to do an intro to Perl for the first half of the
>day. Jim Corder might do it, and he's local. That way, we could attract new
>blood to the group.
>
>--jon
>
>Quoting Charles Day <Charles.Day at s1te.com>:
>
> > Welcome Chris!  I live in Columbus and can't even get to a
> meeting:)  Always
> > end up
> > with tickets to something, or wife works that night or some crapola.   How
> > did the
> > house work out guys?  I'll volunteer ours up for the next meeting if it
> went
> > well.
> > We're wirelessed.  So Chris, what do you want to work on?   Share with us
> > your
> > sororities and we'll share our, umm what do we have again?
> >

> > > Greetings everyone,
> > >
> > > My name is Chris, I'm a new subscriber to the list, and a computer
> > science
> > > student up here at Youngstown State University.  Theres a disappointing
> > > lack of Linux, Perl, and similar groups here on campus, despite a
> > > widespread acceptance of these technologies within the computer science
> > > dept.  I've had some dealings with the Ohio Supercomputer Center(they
> > > brought us a cluster last fall), which has led me to realize that there
> > is
> > > in fact a LOT going on with computer science down in Columbus....which
> > led
> > > me to your group :)
> > >
> > > I've read on your site that you are working on some projects as a group?
> > > consider myself to be a beginner when it comes to Perl, however I would
> > > very much be interested in contributing in some small way if
> [...]

To send mail to the Columbus.pm list send email to
columbus-pm-list at pm.org

unsubscribe columbus-pm-list