[Classiccity-pm] XML is too hard for programmers

Shawn Boyette mdxi at collapsar.net
Mon Feb 16 18:38:18 CST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 11:02:04AM -0500, Darrell Golliher wrote:

> Saw this posted elsewhere and it pretty much sums up my thoughts on
> the subject.  I wondered if you guys have found XML nirvanna and care
> to share it with the rest of us..

My feelings on XML:

   * XML is wonderful for what it was originally intended to be: a
     grammar for defining customized markup languages.

   * XML is also great at the obvious follow-on to this: being a data
     interchange language. Everybody can speak it! Whee!

   * The fact that you can use XML as a programming language is a neat
     hack. Cute. But I'd never want to *do* it.

   * XML EVERYWHERE is just as stupid an idea as JAVA EVERYWHERE or
     THE INTARWEB EVERYWHERE or even PERL EVERYWHERE. It's become one
     of those things which is great in and of itself and is spoiled by
     people evangelizing it and deciding to use it for things it was
     never really meant for (not unlike JavaScript or Flash)

That's all I got.

--
Shawn Boyette
mdxi at collapsar.net