[Classiccity-pm] basic idiot question

Jeff Scarbrough rail at uga.edu
Fri Oct 31 00:05:01 CST 2003

Sorry, folks, I thought I had sent this while I was out west.  No wonder
nobody commented....

Cheers,
Jeff

At 12:43 AM 10/26/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 08:46:32PM -0600, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
> > Now, the only problem I have is when data does not exist for the key, I
> get
> > an "uninitialized" kind of error when I write...I need to include
> something
> > on the order of:
> >
> > if ! $array_1{$key_sort} {
> >   $array_1{$key_sort} = " ";
> > }
> >
> > before I do the write... I'm sure the syntax there is faulty, but that's
>
>You're probably looking for "defined".

Yep, that helped.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I am holed up in a motel in Utah, putting my
programs to work <G>

The final program is listed at
http://www.fishplate.org/perl/data_prep.txt  if you want to see how I made
it work.  I'd be interested in any critiques you folks can provide, as this
is not just a job, but also a learning experience...I'm curious to see if
there is a better solution.

Thanks again,
Jeff