[Chicago-talk] Alpine Linux distribution

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Sep 27 18:55:56 PDT 2022

Hi Joel!

On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 15:31:32 -0500
J L <joel.limardo at forwardphase.com> wrote:

> The rule of the 'FI's:
>
> 1. The FIRST time somebody asks you to do something you don't do refer them
> to someone else that does it.
> 2. The FIFTH time somebody asks you to do something you don't do start
> asking for referrals from wherever you are directing the business.
> 3. The FIFTEENTH time somebody asks you to do something you don't do
> IMMEDIATELY start charging and outsource the work.

Good one! Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of:

«
The word "idiot-proof" [= laymen-proof],
after bundled with <link
xlink:href="https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/show.cgi?id=joel-remarkable-customer-service-3">Joel
Spolsky's advice</link> to permanently fix users-reported-problems,
gets a new meaning when some laymen are tech geeks who
have GitHub accounts and are versed in the command-line, e.g:
<link xlink:href="https://github.com/shlomif/fortune-mod/issues/45">fortune-mod
issue #45</link> . I may be a "victim" of my own success.
»

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 7:33 PM Shlomi Fish <shlomif at shlomifish.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Sep 2022 07:50:36 -0400
> > James E Keenan <jkeenan at pobox.com> wrote:

> > simplicity

> > > Unfortunately, that doesn't stop people from sending failure reports to
> > > CPANtesters or to Perl 5 Porters. :-(
> > >

> > "just say no"?
> >
> > http://shlomifishswiki.branchable.com/Never_Try_to_Please_Everyone/
> >
> > This is one case where a canned response may be justified.
> >
> > > jimk
> >

> > --
> >
> > Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
> > https://youtu.be/GoEn1YfYTBM - Tiffany Alvord - “Fall Together”
> >
> > Wikipedia has a page about everything including the
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_sink .
> >
> >     — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html

> > .

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
List of Portability Libraries - https://shlom.in/port-libs

Q: I’ll be about 6.5 milliard Terran years next September.
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Star-Trek/We-the-Living-Dead/