[Chicago-talk] When to Dockerize a perl program

Sean Blanton sean at blanton.com
Mon Sep 5 10:38:28 PDT 2022

I would say almost every Perl program. It certainly solves the problem of
managing your environment. It can run anywhere and you don't care what's
installed or upgraded on the server.

I'm unfortunately now using the lesser and boring p- language, but the same
thing holds.  We have one bitbucket/Gitlab repo and it holds all the common
code and we launch the same docker image with different start commands to
run different programs as different services.  This had the benefit of not
having to upgrade all your services on a new release.

Docker was a learning experience for me for sure, but overtime I found many
optimizations to iterate quickly. If you are completely not paying
attention (newbie), you could end up with a huge docker image that could be
unwieldy. I've dabbled in the admin side as well - also some learning
there, as a lot of the docker storage is under /var, which like /tmp, users
can abuse and max out (but volumes can be created).  The Alpine Linux
distribution is popular to keep the image size down.

Regards,
Sean

Sean Blanton
sean at blanton.com