[Chicago-talk] Planning a Chicago Perl Workshop - Interested?

Doug Bell madcityzen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 09:05:03 PDT 2013

Chicago.PM is planning a small, one-day Perl workshop. Depending on
interest, it will either be an "Intermediate Workshop", for people
who've gotten started with Perl and want to learn the skills to turn
them into a Perl Programmer, or it will have two tracks: Beginner and
Intermediate.

The cost is undetermined, but right now we are shooting for "Free". If
there ends up being a cost to Chicago.PM, I am hoping that some
generous Chicago.PM members will be willing to help defray the cost to
the end-user (and I will be one of them), or some generous corporate
benefactor might be interested in funding a little in return for some
recognition and thanks.

Due to the one-day nature of the event, I am shooting for
October/November (Autumn, but not too cold to be able to walk around).
This gives us enough time to plan and advertise (maybe), but the
timetable is skewed because our team is leaving this building next
year (and I do not want to hold the event over the winter, let Frozen
Perl handle that ;). If that is not feasible, we can do early Spring
(Late March / Early April) as I think we'll still be in this building
then.

Most likely the event will be all-day on a Friday. Our building will
have plenty of telecommutes on Friday (we are a bank, after all), and
it won't be a weekend.

The event will probably be held in the same building we hold our
regular meetings, 540 W Madison. The main reason to choose this
building is cost, but since it is right downtown (just West of the
Loop), it is convenient for Amtrak, Metra, and CTA riders. The CTA
makes both O'Hare and Midway convenient as well. There is parking, but
it is probably better to Park-and-Ride the CTA. There are hostels and
hotels in the area we can help people to find.

So, ask around! See if anyone is interested in attending a
free-or-low-cost one-day Perl conference. I'll be posting a
blogs.perl.org post with this information to also gauge interest.

If just a half-dozen people are interested, we'll do it, I'm more
worried that hundreds of people will be interested and I'll have to
find some better venue.

Doug Bell
madcityzen at gmail.com