[Chicago-talk] Meeting Thursday April 25, 6:30pm - Beyond grep - Ack and other code search tools

Doug Bell madcityzen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 10:34:56 PDT 2013

This month, Andy Lester is going to be giving a talk on Ack and other code
search tools.

Programmers have long used grep for searching their source code, but there
are tools that go beyond grep's capabilities.  We'll explore some of them
in this talk, with an emphasis on ack <http://betterthangrep.com/>, a tool
written in Perl that's based on grep but tuned specifically for programmers.

Topics will include:

   - Staying in The Zone: Why grep isn't enough
   - ack and the new ack 2.0
   - ctags + cscope
   - Integrating with your editor

The presenter is Andy Lester, the author of ack, many Perl
modules<https://metacpan.org/author/PETDANCE>,
and the book "Land The Tech Job You
Love"<http://pragprog.com/book/algh/land-the-tech-job-you-love>,
published by Pragmatic Bookshelf.

This meeting is at our usual location, 540 W Madison St. in the 9th floor
conference rooms. Pizza and beer will be provided.

RSVP on the meetup at
http://www.meetup.com/Windy-City-Perl-mongers-Meetup/events/108517322/

Doug Bell
madcityzen at gmail.com