[Chicago-talk] Reading extended ASCII characters from a text box

Jim Jacobus JJacobus at PonyX.com
Thu Oct 18 09:34:51 PDT 2012

On our website we have a HTML text box so that customers can insert a
product description. Problem is when they do a copy and paste from a
Word or other document format that has extended ASCII charcters (like
inch marks, foot marks, greek characters and even latin-1
characters), the characters get translated to nulls and such.
Is there a way to read the contents in the raw form using Perl so I
can translate it? Or is the an HTML issue?