[Chicago-talk] financial charting

David Mertens dcmertens.perl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 08:55:41 PST 2011

I don't know how to get Google or Yahoo to do what you want. However,
making the chart on your own machine should be straight-forward using Perl.
A recent post for this can be found here:

http://www.preshweb.co.uk/2011/11/graphing-time-based-data-in-perl/

I know that doesn't answer your original question, but if you can't find a
way to do what you want, maybe this will work as Plan B.

David

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Jay Strauss <me at heyjay.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> not a Perl question exactly (although I'd probably implement using Perl).
>
> I have some price series data.  (i.e. date and price).  I'd like to chart
> it against various indices (like the sp500 or Russell, or an individual
> stock...)
>
> What I'd like to do is use yahoo chart or google, but pass them MY data
> and marry it with their data and produce a graph using their graphing
> utilities.
>
> Can anyone suggest simple ways to do this?
>
> I know I can pass ALL the data to google charts api, but it seems crazy to
> download the data from google, then build all the stuff with my data plus
> the data I downloaded, just to send it back to the place I got the data
> from originally.
>
> Thanks
> Jay

Sent via my carrier pigeon.