[Chicago-talk] Regular expression discussion.

Richard Reina richard at rushlogistics.com
Wed Feb 2 05:55:36 PST 2011

Tired of shoveling snow. Well sit right down and lets have a regex discussion. I have a perl script that at the moment just uses grep to look though text files that have been converted from pdf2text to see what sort of documents they are.  What I am finding however is that a lot of searches fail by just a few characters.
For example, if I am looking for "This first document is a contract between" the text string in the file might look like this
"This tirst document is a coniract betweeo" and the grep search fails. However, as you can see these two statements are 93% alike.  Is there a way with perl regular expressions to match strings that are say 90, 95 or 98% alike?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Stay Warm!
--
Richard Reina