[Chicago-talk] trouble caputuring return value

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Mar 31 21:57:59 PDT 2010

Hi Richard,

On Wednesday 31 Mar 2010 20:01:27 Richard Reina wrote:
> Shlomi,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Is this something complicated to do?

Not in particular. See http://perldoc.perl.org/perlipc.html for some initial
pointers (though you should use IO::Socket and friends, etc. which I'm not
sure if it mentions it properly). You can learn how to do IPC, and then it
serves you for the rest of your life.

> If it is I
> just opt to save the input to a file and have the 1st program open the
> file to get it.  I was just wondering if you had an idea how steep of a
> learning curve I have in front of me.

Saving to a file is a good option. However, as Ted Zlatanov mentioned in reply
to my message, if you're doing such acrobatics to get a value from program
being forked and ran in gnome-terminal, you should reconsider your study.
There are much better uses for Inter-Process Communication (IPC) than what it
seems like you're trying to do.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish