[Chicago-talk] a Perl Desktop environment

Zane C. B. v.velox at vvelox.net
Wed Mar 24 00:23:20 PDT 2010

Quoting Chou Enlai <adougher9 at yahoo.com>:

> Sure, I can help with that.  I have some ideas I'd like to share,
> basically composing interfaces automatically based on requirements,
> a kind of perl logic programming approach to interface generation.

Awesome.

So far my work has revolved around ZConf, http://search.cpan.org/dist/ZConf/.

In regards to GUI stuff, I've been using a system that allows multiple
backends to be selected, with the idea that both backends and
frontends are implemented as separate modules and then for the GUI,
there is a collection of standard dialogs that can be called easily
for basic things. It works nicely, for the most part, with the only
real issue being that using a automatically chosen backend results in
blocking.

I've written a few things for so far. Look for ZConf modules and
PerlFM at  http://search.cpan.org/~vvelox/ .

So far my working name for this is EESDP, the Easily
Extensible/Scriptable Desktop Project, http://eesdp.org/ . Not much
there, but going to begin populating it with more information and etc
shortly.

The system largely expects a few certain things in regards to LDAP as
well, but can be overridden.

http://eesdp.org/docs/EESDP/Docs/LDAP/trunk/EESDP%20LDAP%20Standard.pod.html

That has the current incarnation, which may be more or less correct.
Finally starting to get around to putting more time into it again.

Will be opening up the svn of it all shortly.