[Chicago-talk] [WindyCity-pm] Time for a Perl Mongers meeting?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Sep 23 01:55:00 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 22 Sep 2009 19:26:29 brian d foy wrote:
> Okay, I'm declaring that Clark Street Ale House on Wednesday at 7.
> I'll meet Chris at his hotel and get him there.
>
> For those that might not know Chris Nandor, he's the guy who runs
> Use.perl, which is a slashdot knockoff. He also works for Slashdot. :)
>  He's the author of Mac::Carbon, has done a lot with MacPerl (you
> younguns probably never heard of it :), and lots of other Mac stuff.
> You may have seen him singing one of his songs for the CNN GOP debates

In case it's not too late for all of you to read it:

1. First of all, please thank Chris (a.k.a pudge) for his maintenance of
Slashdot, Slash and use.perl.org as well as for his songs - two of which I
have downloaded including the incredibly funny and original "Osama Bin Laden -
You've Ruined My Birthday".

2. Can you ask Chris when he is going to revamp use.perl.org:

http://perl.net.au/wiki/User:Shlomif/use.perl.org_Problems

(Any additions are welcome).

And other people may have voiced other concerns about use.perl.org on their
use.perl.org blogs that may be found using some web searching. Right now many
people have moved their blogs elsewhere and many more want to move them as
well.

I originally intended to set up a Drupal-based site for discussing Perl, but
ended up deciding against this idea due to lack of motivation for constant
maintenance of the site, and due to technical difficulties in Drupal (lack of
backwards compatibility between versions, many plugins I needed not working,
and other stuff like that.)

Right now, Altreus and I have been working on http://www.ohloh.net/p/catable ,
which is a Catalyst-based blog engine similar to WordPress or MovableType.
We've been making slow progress lately, but we're motivated to work on it.
It's still not in a usable state, and git has been causing me tons of obscure
problems which slowed me down considerably (and github has been very slow
lately). But the proof of concept functionality is already there and I hope to
move my blogging to a few Catable-based blogs soon. And, naturally, all
contributions are welcome - feel free to fork/clone/etc. the github
repository.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish