[Chicago-talk] string operator question.

Richard Reina richard at rushlogistics.com
Sat Sep 12 07:42:17 PDT 2009

I think I've got it now. I found this:

$mystring = "[2004/04/13] The date of this article.";
if($mystring =~ m/(\d+)/) {
	print "The first number is $1.";
}

in a tutorial at http://www.somacon.com/p127.php

and hacked it up so that my number gets the value of

$number = $1

and it works.

However, I am confused by the representation of the scalar $1 I have never seen that before.  Can someone explain $1.  Or is it something that should not be explained but instead accepted at face value?