[Chicago-talk] Database or Code?

Ted Zlatanov tzz at lifelogs.com
Sun Jun 28 06:15:37 PDT 2009

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 17:41:08 -0500 Warren Lindsey <warren.lindsey at gmail.com> wrote:

WL> Whoops, missed by carrier.
WL> Select airline, depart, arrive, count(*) from flights group by airline, depart, arrive;

If you don't need high performance, and you'd rather compose SQL queries
through Perl objects (ignoring the MySQL vs. Postgres vs. Oracle
vs. Sybase vs. others SQL incompatibilities), I found Rose::DB::Object
to be very good.  There's a few other Perl ORMs out there, a recent
review is at http://blog.afoolishmanifesto.com/archives/822

If you want performance (you issue lots of queries or you have lots of
objects), and of course if you're doing more advanced queries, RDBO will
probably not be right for you.

Ted