[Chicago-talk] New system architecture

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Mon Jun 1 10:14:02 PDT 2009

Hi all, need some advice.

I want to build a new system.  My bro and I have a small
equity/options trading application.  We cobbled it together in Perl
and Oracle years ago.  Things have broken, some of the stuff we want
to change.  Ultimately we want to start over.

I'm just trying to decide on what architecture to use going forward.
I know this is a pretty wide question.

Most (all) of the processes will run on a single box.  I don't really
have an idea of which presentation route we'll go (full rich client
maybe using Java/Swing, maybe a Java Script client using GWT, maybe
plain HTML).  The client will probably request functionality from the
server.

I was thinking we'd do the whole API for asking for quotes, requesting
analytics, inserting transactins...  via HTTP (SOAP).

Can anyone give me their thoughts on their lessons learned, maybe
routes to try, stuff I should be thinking of...

(again I know this is pretty open ended, but I'm interested in what
others have done with success)

Thanks
Jay