[Chicago-talk] Do I need a fork for this?

Richard Reina richard at rushlogistics.com
Fri Jan 9 09:13:58 PST 2009

I am trying to spin off a process (subroutine actually) so that my program and will go on to do other things ( namely ask the user from some input ) while the the subroutine is doing it's work.

Something like:

# this sub is going to take a few minutes
my ($results) = list_compiler($id);

# this is where we get hung up waiting for the above sub to finish.
# Sure would be nice to be able to get some info from the user while we
# are waiting. Like:
print "While I am compiling this list for you, can you tell me how many people are working in the office today?\n";

Can someone tell me how I can go about doing this?

Thanks,

Richard