[Chicago-talk] Job Op
tprinty at mail.edisonave.net
Thu Feb 26 12:01:43 PST 2009
Don't know if any perl guys/gals are looking for a new gig but I thought
I would pass this along as I am not currently looking. Please contact
EVP – Fermi is a fascinating place to work. It is one of the leading
Departments of Energy and recently became a partner on the Serne project
in Switzerland. They bring in professors and physicists from all over
the world to participate in energy research projects. They have a 30
acre facility in Batavia, IL with a daycare, work out facility, and
restaurant on site. Fermi is also responsible for 8 terabytes of data
that is utilized for research.
6-12 Month Contract
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES: Under general direction, formulates and
defines system scope and objectives, and participates as high level
technical expert in design, development, coding, testing, and debugging
new software or significant enhancements to existing software. Devises
or modifies procedures to solve complex problems considering computer
equipment capacity and limitations, operating time, and form of desired
results. Prepares detailed specifications from which programs will be
written. Works with technical staff to understand problems with software
and develops specifications to resolve them. Designs, codes, tests,
debugs, and documents programs.
Plan, analyze, design, develop, test, and ensures quality assurance,
and participates in design discussions, authors design notes, and
contributes to and leads design efforts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Designs, codes, tests, debugs, documents and maintains
applications, systems and/or libraries.
· Participates in design discussions and authors design notes.
· Contributes to design efforts, regularly gathers requirements
and information from users for specific projects, and obtains feedback.
· Develops and implements specifications for several small to
large inter-related projects.
· Communicates and coordinates with other technical personnel
working closely on a project, including those from non-computing
· Communicates effectively with management, peers and
stakeholders, in written and oral form.
· Acts as a primary contact for system and operational problems
and acts frequently as a liaison; investigating, localizing and
resolving or directing others to resolve problems as assigned.
· Performs operational and/or maintenance activities for one or
more specific projects as assigned.
· Responsible for a phase of a project or acts as team leader on
less complex projects as assigned.
· Provides guidance and training to less experienced members as
· Abides by and is responsible for performing all duties as
assigned and in accordance with all environmental, health and safety
regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
· Be able to develop network applications in Perl using
databases such as Oracle or MySQL.
· Experience with planning, analyzing, designing, developing,
monitoring and testing network-based applications to various systems
using published API’s.
· Able to lead projects and work well in groups.
· Be able to develop network applications in Python, VB Script,
· Familiarity with network applications and devices such as DNS,
DHCP and network routers.
· Familiarity with network management systems and helpdesk
systems such as Remedy.
In general, the type or work would be: DAY TO DAY
--Using application API's from management systems, create service
tickets in Remedy for network events
--Using application API's from network devices, update Oracle-based
--Rebuild the Site Networking web site
--Rebuild visitor registration web site
--Debug existing applications in Perl, possibly rewrite applications on
Perl or Python
--Work with existing programming staff on various projects as requested
Tom Edwards, Technical Recruiter
1400 Opus Place Ste. 800, Downers Grove, IL, 60515
More information about the Chicago-talk