[Chicago-talk] cpan problems in Fedora 9

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Tue Sep 16 12:14:50 PDT 2008

> Especially in the face of upgrading modules that are included by the
> vendor.  With my own perl, I can do whatever I want without worrying
> that I'll break anything else.

More likely they'll break you. Aside from
the known issues with RH, most of the perl's
in the distro's include threading and are
compiled with debug support (i.e., '-g').

Q: How often have you ever run gdb on perl?

Given the likely answer, why pay the price
for -g? I'd also rather strip the non-
essential symbols (for the number of time's
I'll be tracing core dumps of perl it won't
affect me).

Putting the stuff in /opt also allows me to
get it off of my root partition, which leaves
that much less to deal with in case of a
system recovery (or backup).