[Chicago-talk] Oktoberfestive social meetup

Mike Fragassi frag at ripco.com
Fri Oct 17 22:19:49 PDT 2008

OK, we've got a 6:30, a 7, and an 8.  Median is 7 pm.  How is that
with everybody?

As an aside:  I just caught the local performance of the play 'R.U.R.',
the original Czech play from the 1920's that invented the word 'robot'.
It turns out that the central ideas behind Blade Runner and Terminator
are as old as the word itself.  And that the original concept behind the
word 'robot' was bio-tech, not mechanical.  The play's pretty good too,
or, at least, this particular production was really well done and very
well acted.  It was a bit wordily melodramatic at points, which almost
certainly is due to the fashion of the time when the play was written.
It's only playing this weekend and the next, so Joe Mike Bob says
check it out.

http://www.strawdog.org/index.php?section=history&production=rur

"If you must see only one play this Halloween about the incipient Robot
Uprising, make it this one!"