[Chicago-talk] core dump using DBI

Jonathan Rockway jon-chicagotalk at jrock.us
Mon Jul 14 21:47:44 PDT 2008

* On Mon, Jul 14 2008, Michael Potter wrote:
> I am on AIX/DB2/Perl 5.8.5.

FWIW, I've had massive problems with IBM's DB2 DBD.  It is some of the
worst C code I've ever seen.  It rarely allocates memory before using
it, so I'm really surprised that it ever works at all.

Here is my patch from a year ago, still unapplied:

This is just one of many buffer overflow problems, though.  Applying the
patch will only fix one problem, not the whole module.

Basically, if you want correct results and stability, I would recommend
against using DBD::DB2.  It's a shame that IBM doesn't care about Perl
libraries, but they don't, so it's best to "take your business
elsewhere"... or write a real driver yourself :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway