[Chicago-talk] Windows event Logs

Eric Ellington e.ellington at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 14:38:01 PST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 3:41 PM, Young, Darren <Darren.Young at chicagogsb.edu> wrote:
> > Using ActiveState I have used Win32::EventLog. It works. It will
> > gather info from local and remote machines.
>
> Have you ever tried to parse the "Strings" part of the messages? I'm
> noticing there's not a whole lot of consistency between different event
> id's. Even in the 540 the number of "columns" in the actual even message
> isn't consistent.

Yup, it sucks. It is sort of filled in with data from the event, and
sort of not.

This is the description from an entry in the event log:

The audit log was cleared
 	Primary User Name:	SYSTEM
 	Primary Domain:	NT AUTHORITY
 	Primary Logon ID:	(0x0,0x3E7)
 	Client User Name:	SYSTEM
 	Client Domain:	NT AUTHORITY
 	Client Logon ID:	(0x0,0x3E7)

Strings gives you null spaced crap (I think):

SYSTEM \0 NT AUTHORITY \0 (0x0,0x3E7) \0 SYSTEM \0 NT AUTHORITY \0 (0x0,0x3E7)

I added the \0s

So you can use tr/\0/\n/ or something similar.

I am not sure what \0 really means I have never found it in any
official docs, I found it on the web a while back. It will replace the
nulls in the string however.