[Chicago-talk] Limiting system impact.

Don Drake don at drakeconsult.com
Wed May 9 12:17:15 PDT 2007

# man nice

-Don

-----Original Message-----
From: chicago-talk-bounces+don=drakeconsult.com at pm.org
[mailto:chicago-talk-bounces+don=drakeconsult.com at pm.org] On Behalf Of Jim
Jacobus
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 2:13 PM
To: chicago-talk at pm.org
Subject: [Chicago-talk] Limiting system impact.

Is there any way to limit, from within the Perl script, the amount of
memory or CPU a Perl process utilizes? I've got a script on a Redhat
Linux system that crunches a lot of data. Script and output are ok,
but the process can take up to 30 minutes wall clock time. As a
result the system appears to slow down considerably until the the
script finishes. I tried adding a few WAIT commands in the script,
but it didn't help much. The system reads some really large files,
parses the info and stores it in some hashes for later processing. So
I'm using I/o, memory and CPU. It would be good if I could lower the
process priority of the script when it's running so the O/S could
give more weight to other processes.