[Chicago-talk] Problem with Exporter as reported by CPAN testers on one of my modules.

Adriano Ferreira a.r.ferreira at gmail.com
Sun May 6 16:37:28 PDT 2007

On 5/6/07, Elliot Shank <chicago.pm at galumph.com> wrote:
> I just got a FAIL email on one of my modules that I'm not understanding.
>
> Specifically, it's getting a compilation error:
>
>   "import" is not exported by the Exporter module
>
> the line in question is
>
>   use Exporter qw( import );
>
> What the ?!?.
>
> The person is using 5.6.2 on some version of Debian.  I do development using 5.8.8.

I think the right thing to be done would be to declare a dependency on
Exporter 5.59 (which is the first version of dual life for Exporter)
and then

     use Exporter 5.59 qw( import );

But unfortunately at the moment the Exporter-5.59 distribution
(http://search.cpan.org/~ferreira/Exporter-5.59/) is marked as
unauthorized release because the CPAN id FERREIRA was not given
permissions for it. I will try to correct that by talking to
perl5-porters and then everything will be fine.

For that reason, actually one should upgrade Exporter in an older Perl with

   cpan install FERREIRA/Exporter-5.59.tar.gz

instead of a simple

   cpan install Exporter

As far as I know Exporter 5.59 works ok even for 5.00503.

Best regards,
Adriano Ferreira