[Chicago-talk] Perl 101 is ramping up

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Tue May 1 08:22:33 PDT 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 10:16 AM, Shawn Carroll wrote:

> What should be here other than a link to perldoc and cpan?  I don't
> mean that sarcastically, but isn't this a duplication of work already
> done?

If we didn't duplicate things that were already done, we'd have no
need for books.  Why have Damian's OOP book?  It's all in the Perl
docs, right?

People don't know what they don't know.  Guys like us, we know Perl,
we've been through it, we know how to do common stuff, common idioms.

How does a new user know...

... to use Data::Dumper?
... how to access databases, or check websites?
... how to delete a file from disk?
... that The Perl Review exists?

Consider especially someone coming from PHP or Java.

The title of the site is "What Every Perl Programmer Should Know",
and I'm trying to limit it to that.

--
Andy Lester => andy at petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance