[Chicago-talk] Malformed UTF-8 character in file with Byte Order Mark on SunOS

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Tue Feb 27 09:15:38 PST 2007

tiger peng wrote:
> Having trouble to ftp or scp utf8 files to SunOS and after googling for a while, I found that when I searched 'utf-8 byte order mark malformed SunOS', most of the top searching results relate with perl 5.8. So I hope I can get a quick help from my dear perlists.

UTF-8 is just binary.  If your link can't handle 8-bit characters, then
uuencode the UTF-8 and uudecode it on the other end.  My guess is that's
not the problem -- your terminal (or shell) are probably confused by
UTF-8 and you need to play around with locales.

A bit more detail might help us find the issue, although I kind of doubt
it has *anything* to do with Perl :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,