[Chicago-talk] chown inside a script

Jay Strauss me at heyjay.com
Wed Dec 5 13:55:37 PST 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to change a group of files that all have the same file
number, but different extensions (suffix).

When I'm in the shell I can do:
chown jblum /opt/montrose/private/active/PROSPECT/07120415*

BUT:
jstrauss at fs1:~/bin$ cat t
my $f = "/opt/montrose/private/active/PROSPECT/07120415";
system("chown", "jblum", "$f*");
jstrauss at fs1:~/bin$ perl t
chown: cannot access
`/opt/montrose/private/active/PROSPECT/07120415*': No such file or
directory

I've tried various incantations of the wildcard but none work.  Is
there some sort of quoting I should be using to make this work, or
some other secret?

I'd rather use a wildcard than globing a list of files to iterate over.

Thanks
Jay