[Chicago-talk] Sharing my pain

Michael D. Stemle, Jr. manchicken at notsosoft.net
Sat Oct 14 06:57:07 PDT 2006

ANYBODY who's ever worked at a college or university that employed cheap
student labor has seen **NASTY** things that no human eye should ever have to
see in the form of code.  I've seen **NASTY** Java, C (much nasty C), COBOL,
Perl, PHP, bash, Python, and yes, even Ruby.  I saw one guy who worked in all
four of Perl, PHP, Python, and Ruby.  He fancied himself an "expert" and many
others shared this view.  One day, I was looking at his code and saw this
this (the following code is a reproduction.  Actual names have been changed
to protect the innocent)....

my $output = `psql studentdb -c "SELECT * FROM students WHERE
student_id='$student_id';"`
my @students = ();
while (split(m/\n/,$output)) {
	my ($id,$name) = split(m/ \| /, $_);
}

He was **USING A SHELL ESCAPE TO HIT THE DATABASE!!**  That would have been
bad enough had he done it in only one place... but no.  He did it EVERYWHERE,
in all four Perl, PHP, Python, and Ruby.

I can only conclude that people will undoubtedly be idiots no matter what
langauge they're using.  Shell escapes to postgres' CLI and parsing the
output is the WRONG way to do any DBMS interaction, but the guy did it
successfully in four different languages.  My heart goes out to the language
zealots who incorrectly point the finger at Perl claiming it is somehow
inferior.  I hope that they somehow, in the future, gain some clue... as for
now, they're a bit lacking.