[Chicago-talk] Sharing my pain

Alan Mead amead at alanmead.org
Fri Oct 13 13:34:59 PDT 2006

Jim Thomason wrote:

>>Ok, I'll bite.  What's so terrible about this code?
>>

>Just the stuff that jumps out at me, I'm sure there's more:
>
>sub findSprokets {
>    my $sprokets = '';
># this should be my $sprokets = []; (maybe my @sprokets = ();) you'll
>see why later
>    my @tmp;
>#should be down below.
>
>    $sproketDat = "/tmp/sprokets.dat"
>#hardwired to some value. Might be nicer to be able to pass this in.
>Maybe leave this as a default, perhaps in a config file.

Yeah.  Ok.  My question was actually: What about this code makes this
make people want to use Python?

Python prevents people from making design mistakes!?  [ I thought that
was the role of CS professors :) ]

--
Alan D. Mead, Ph.D. : amead at alanmead.org : 815-588-3846

What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out,
which is the exact opposite.
		-- Bertrand Russell, "Skeptical Essays", 1928