[Chicago-talk] accessing NIS password

Richard Reina richard at rushlogistics.com
Wed Mar 8 09:57:41 PST 2006

I am trying to write a script that prompts a user ( that is already logged in ) for his password when he runs certain perl applications.  I am able to write the part that prompts the user for the password with "no echo" however I have no idea how to compare the entry to his password especially since we use NIS and thus the passwords are not on the local machine but on the server ( on the same LAN).  Can anyone provide any help on how I would compare the entry against the NIS password?

 Thanks in advance,

 Richard

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.
 -Dwight D. Eisenhower.