[Chicago-talk] In Search of Wireless

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Tue Jun 13 08:14:40 PDT 2006

One question that comes to mind: does IIT not have WiFi?  If they do,
and won't give YAPCers access, they probably don't want you plugging
into the wired network either.  (IP allocation issues, 1337 h4x0r
issues, I'm The Computer Center And I Say So issues, etc.)

I just wanted to ask the obvious question; is this approved by IIT's
computer center?  If not, there could be big problems.  When I was a
student at UIC, we always had trouble for events because the network
security czar would shut off the event rooms Just Because He Could
(letting people use their precious Internet connection was "against
University policy", but then again, getting an education was also
against UIC's policy).

Here at UofC, things are pretty much the same, except WiFi actually
works.  Visitors are required to fill out forms (SSN, drivers license
number, home address), give DNA and blood samples, be Really Really
nice, etc. all to get temporary 1-day access.  :)  Paranoia is high
among university computer centers, in my experience.

So I just wanted to make sure the WiFi situation here isn't an ad hoc
(heh) solution to get around bureaucracy at IIT.  If it is, the
probability of Something Bad happening during the conference is very
real.  As a presenter, I would be kinda out of luck if I didn't have a
'net connection, and I'm sure others are the same way.

Anyway, I'm sure you guys have this all figured out, I'm just worrying
out loud :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway

Andrew Rodland wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 June 2006 01:39, Joshua McAdams wrote:
>> Wow, that was a great response on the wireless solution.  It sounds
>> like Eric has the most powerful setup, but that we might need to
>> supplement it with some of the others.  I've also been in contact with
>> a local Cisco rep that might have some equipment that we could use.
etc.